Twitter Inc., which is one of the biggest social media platforms in the world recently announced the appointment of a Nigerian woman and former Minister of Finance, Dr Ngozi Okonjo–Iweala to its board of directors. She was appointed alongside Robert Zoellick. She is to serve as one of the independent directors and the appointment is with immediate effect.
In announcing this appointment, the Executive Chairman of Twitter; Omid Kordestani, stated that madam Ngozi is a distinguished leader with unparalleled global perspective and policy expertise. The chairman is of the view that she will be an incredible assets to Twitter as it continue to focus on driving transparency and making Twitter a safer, healthier place for everyone who uses their service.
Dr Ngozi Okonjo–Iweala, who holds a Ph.D. from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and an A.B. from Harvard University, replaces Marjorie who is stepping down from the Twitter board, later in the year, after serving the company for over five years.
In her response, Dr Ngozi Okonjo–Iweala stated that “Twitter is a powerful platform that continues to be used as a strong connector for the global community, and I’m thrilled to be a part of the team”. Furthermore, she concluded by saying that “As we strive to build a better world for tomorrow, Twitter can amplify messages and drive critical conversations around today’s most important issues. I look forward to partnering with Twitter’s talented directors and leadership team as we work to leverage the power of Twitter for good.”
Now See: Women in Technology & Business.
Who is Dr Ngozi Okonjo–Iweala?
Dr. Okonjo-Iweala has served in boards of various global institutions and organizations. She has also served the Nigerian government at various times. below is a list of her professional experiences that spans over 2 decades:
- Senior Advisor to Lazard, Ltd., a global financial advisory and asset management firm, since September 2015.
- Prior to joining Lazard, she served as the Minister of Finance of Nigeria from July 2003 until June 2006 and as the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister for the Economy of Nigeria from August 2011 until May 2015.
- From 1982 until 2003 and then from December 2007 until August 2011, she held several positions at the World Bank, most recently as Managing Director from December 2007 until August 2011.
- She has been a member of the Board of Directors of Standard Chartered plc, a multinational banking and financial services company, since November 2017.
- Dr. Okonjo-Iweala has served as the Board Chair of the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunization (GAVI) since January 2016.
- For Busy Moms – Walmart Lunches JetBlack a New Personal Shopping Service
- App to Assist Women Get Pregnant With Ease
- How Organizations Benefit from Social Media Screening
- How to Build a Website for Your Small Business Ventures
- Download Apps, Games & Music Videos
Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, congratulations on your well deserved appointment into the board of Twitter Inc. We wish you a successful time at Twitter.