Google is in Africa for real. The global research and technology giant; Google, is building its first Artificial Intelligence (AI) lab in Africa and Accra Ghana is the choice destination for this huge project. The research center will be open later in the year. This development is coming as most Silicon Valley tech companies seek to gain patronage among researchers and expand their global reach by opening AI research labs all over the world.
Recently, there’s been an unprecedented increase in interest in computer science and machine learning research in particular across the African continent. So it is essential that the African continent is fully empowered in the evolution and AI.
According to Google blog, it has been evident that talents abound in Africa and we’ve seen people across Africa do amazing things with the internet and technology—for themselves, their communities and the world. Therefore, we’ll bring together top machine learning researchers and engineers in this new center in Accra, which is dedicated to AI research and its applications.
What Africa Stand to Benefit from Google’s AI Lab in Ghana
The Google’s AI lab in Accra Ghana is one of the many other AI research labs located all over the globe. The establishment of this lab will provide the following benefits:
- The Google AI Lab will focus on medical diagnosis and treatment, fairness in machine learning, and interpretability and understanding of machine learning models, a Google spokesperson told VentureBeat in an email.
- Since Africa is the second largest continent in the world by land mass, and a lot of people live in rural areas, so Google AI Lab could pursue solutions like remote medical imaging or drone services for the benefit of Africans.
- Africa is the youngest continent on the planet, so research that affects the lives of young people, such as applications in education or personal finance, could be explored.
- The Google AI lab in Accra will look for ways to produce state-of-the-art models by collaborating with regional institutions and policy centers like the African Institute of Mathematical Sciences (AIMS). This is so as to give Africa a voice as AI aims to shape the future and the world.
Who Is the Head of the Google’s AI Lab in Ghana?
Dr. Moustapha Cisse will act as lead of the Accra research lab. A research scientist who previously worked at Facebook AI Research and recently joined Google AI, Cisse is also an AIMS professor and founder of the organization Black in AI. Cisse’s current research efforts focus on improving the fairness and reliability of learning algorithms.
This year alone, Google established AI Labs in China and France. Other tech giants like Facebook opened labs in Pittsburgh and Seattle, and Microsoft announced plans to open labs near universities in Berkeley, California and Melbourne, Australia. Few months ago, Samsung announced labs in Cambridge, Moscow, and Toronto. Nvidia announced plans to open a new lab in Toronto.
- How to Design a Website for a Small Business – Step by Step
- Buy These Web Hosting and Get Free HTTPS SSL Certificate
- What Facebook Latest Updates Means for Your Online Business
- UK Jobs Faces One Almighty Threats this Season
- How Organizations Benefit from Social Media Screenings
- We Assisted This Fresh University Graduate Startup a Business Online with Small Capital
Google is in Africa for real. The Google Artificial Intelligence (AI) lab in Africa is one of the biggest tech projects in Africa and it is enhance the study and development of AI amongst African researchers and students. What do you say? Do leave your comment in the comment box.